Are you new to WordPress and you don’t know how to add a contact form on your website? Or you already have a contact form added on your website but you regularly get spam messages! Then today I’ll show how you can add a spam-free contact form on your WordPress website in just a few steps.
Adding contact form on your WordPress website is a great way to receive messages from your website visitors or customers right to your email address. But, there is nothing worse than finding spam submission on your inbox through your contact form.
When you have a form submission limit on your free/paid plan it’s really frustrating to see the time, effort and resources being wasted.
Being a website owner myself I know how stressful it can be to get rid of these spams. Most of these form spams are automated with bots. Luckily I’ve found an easy way to get rid of these spams and improve the form submission quality.
So let’s begin!
One of the best ways to have spam-free on your contact form is to add reCAPTCHA to your WordPress forms
Why Use reCAPTCHA?
Google reCAPTCHA is a CAPTCHA-like system designed to make sure whether a computer user is a bot or a human. Here CAPTCHA stands for Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart.
There are two types of reCAPTCHAS:
1. Checkbox- In this type of reCAPTCHA every user is required to check an “I’m not a robot” box to send contact form entry to you.
2. Invisible- According to Google, Invisible reCAPTCHA analyzes the activity of the user (e.g. mouse movements and typing patterns) to determine if the user is a robot or human.
So, by adding reCAPTCHA to your contact form you’ll block all the automated spam attempts on your WordPress website’s form.
How to add reCAPTCHA to Your Contact Forms?
Now, let’s go through the process of adding a reCAPTCHA to your new WordPress contact form:
Step-1- WordPress Contact Form Plugin
To add a spam-free contact form on your WordPress website you need a contact form plugin. My most recommended contact form plugin is WPForms.
I use WPForms plugin on my all websites and its beginner-friendly and one of the best form builder plugin out there.
WPForms Lite is totally free, to create a simple contact form. If you need additional features then you can upgrade to WPForms Pro.
To add reCAPTCHA on your contact forms you won’t need WPForms pro.
1. To install WPForms plugin – Go to your WordPress Dashboard and click on Plugin and then click on Add New.
2. Type WPForms in the search box.
3. Click Install and then Activate.
Step-2- Create A Simple Contact Form With WPForms
1. On your WordPress dashboard click on WPForms and then on Add New.
2. WPForms lite gives you two free contact form template options- Blank or Simple contact form.
3. For this example, we are going to choose a Simple contact form.
4. You use the mouse to drag and drop feature to add or remove any field on your contact form.
5. After you’re done click Save.
Step-3- Configure reCAPTCHA Settings
Now add reCAPTCHA to the WPForms contact form you need to configure reCAPTCHA settings in WordPress to create a spam-free contact form.
1. On your WordPress dashboard click on WPForms and then on Settings.
2. In the settings click on the reCAPTCHA tab.
3. In this example, we are going to choose v2 reCAPTCHA to add a checkbox reCAPTCHA to your contact form.
4. Now you’ll be asked to enter Copy Site Key and Copy Secret Key, to get that you’ll have to visit Google’s reCAPTCHA setup page.
5. Click on the Admin Console button in the top right corner.
6. Then, sign in using your Google account.
7. After you have signed in you’ll be redirected to a page where you can register your website for reCAPTCHA.
8. Now, Enter the name of your website name in the label field.
9. After entering your website, choose the type of reCAPTCHA you want to add to your website. In this example, we’ll select reCAPTCHA v2 and then the “I’m not a robot” Checkbox.
10. Now you’ll be asked to add your Domain/s.
11. To save all the settings click Submit.
12. On the Google, reCAPTCHA dashboard click on Settings.
13. You will get the Copy Site Key and Copy Secret Key under the label (shown in the image below)
14. Copy and switch back to the WPForms reCAPTCHA settings. Then paste your site and secret keys.
15. Click on Save Settings.
Step-4- Add reCAPTCHA to Your Contact Form
1. Hover to WPForms and click on All forms.
2. Click on edit below the form title in this case ‘Simple Contact Form’.
3. On the fields, bar click on reCAPTCHA.
4. Then on top-right click on Save.
Step 5: Add Contact Form with reCAPTCHA to the Contact page.
1. Click on the Edit Contact page.
2. Then choose Add WPForms icon inside of a block.
3. Next, select your form from the dropdown in the modal popup.
4. Publish your page so your form will appear on your website.
Voila, we are done.
Follow these steps one by one you’ll be able to add reCAPTCHA on your WordPress website contact form to protect yourself from spam submissions and create a spam-free contact form.
If you have any queries regarding the above information leave a comment or reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
See you in the next article.